Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oracle

On my YouTube channel I subscribe to a French collection of computer animated shorts. This one struck me with layers of meaning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kwe2fzHXcI

"In a world about to collapse, the oracle's system brings a solution to parents. Mr. Arkel will watch a simulation of his child's character and the Oracle will give him the choice." I suppose it comes down to an abortion debate but it is also the nature nurture debate. I don't believe in fate or destiny per se so I was fascinated/disappointed by the emotional expressions on the characters face at the end. But watching it again it allowed me to project/impose/feel my own emotion in that moment. The resolve to have the baby despite the overwhelming challenge of course really hits home for me. (My third oops baby is almost 3 mo. old) If I had to name the feeling it was sadness, there was no motherly check to cheek touch from the man, and there was no glint of evil in the babies eyes. How could one kill or pass over an innocent baby? Which brings me to the God debate why does God allow people to do evil things? Or are people inherently good? Just until megalomania sets in at age 20 according to the clip ;-)

I liked the depiction of the way the child interacted with the world, the concept of being able to shape the physical world to our every whim could/will happen in the future if we survive that long... Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Nice to see you started a blog too! I love you slide show, it is a good way for us to see how the boys are growing!